Pepinusbrug

http://dbpedia.org/resource/Pepinusbrug an entity of type: Thing

Pepinusbrug is a hamlet south-east of Pey in the Dutch municipality Echt-Susteren. The name Pepinusbrug originates from a legend about Pepin of Herstal, who was the lord of the Frankish kingdom. According to this legend, he went on an annual pilgrimage from his hometown of Herstal to the monastery on Mount Petrus (nowadays known as Sint Odiliënberg), which was supposedly founded by saints Wiro of Roermond, , and . On his way to this monastery, Pepin got stuck in the vast swamps south of Echt, but a few neighbors saved him from drowning. Pepin was so grateful to the inhabitants of Echt that he donated a large piece of land and had a dyke and bridge built across the swamp. rdf:langString
Pepinusbrug is een buurtschap ten zuidoosten van Pey in de Nederlandse gemeente Echt-Susteren. De naam Pepinusbrug komt voort uit een legende rondom Pepijn van Herstal, die als hofmeier leiding gaf aan het Frankische Rijk. Volgens deze legende ging hij jaarlijks op bedevaart vanaf zijn woonplaats Herstal naar het klooster op de Petrusberg (tegenwoordig Sint Odiliënberg), dat zou zijn gesticht door de heiligen Wiro, Plechelmus en Otgerus. Op weg naar dit klooster bleef hij echter steken in de uitgestrekte moerassen ten zuiden van Echt, maar enkele buurtbewoners redden hem van de verdrinkingsdood. Pepijn was de Echtenaren zo dankbaar dat hij hen een groot stuk land schonk en een dijk met brug door het moeras liet aanleggen. rdf:langString
rdf:langString Pepinusbrug
rdf:langString Pepinusbrug
rdf:langString Pepinusbrug
rdf:langString Pepinusbrug
xsd:float 51.08666610717773
xsd:float 5.925000190734863
xsd:integer 70743757
xsd:integer 1087300662
rdf:langString Lilbosch Abbey in Pepinusbrug
rdf:langString File:Abdij Lilbosch bezoekersvleugel.JPG
rdf:langString auto
rdf:langString left
rdf:langString Netherlands#Netherlands Limburg
rdf:langString Location in the Netherlands##Location in the province of Limburg in the Netherlands
xsd:integer 250
rdf:langString Hamlet
rdf:langString Municipality
rdf:langString Province
rdf:langString +1
rdf:langString +2
xsd:string 51.086666666666666 5.925
rdf:langString Pepinusbrug is a hamlet south-east of Pey in the Dutch municipality Echt-Susteren. The name Pepinusbrug originates from a legend about Pepin of Herstal, who was the lord of the Frankish kingdom. According to this legend, he went on an annual pilgrimage from his hometown of Herstal to the monastery on Mount Petrus (nowadays known as Sint Odiliënberg), which was supposedly founded by saints Wiro of Roermond, , and . On his way to this monastery, Pepin got stuck in the vast swamps south of Echt, but a few neighbors saved him from drowning. Pepin was so grateful to the inhabitants of Echt that he donated a large piece of land and had a dyke and bridge built across the swamp. Nowadays the reliability of this legend is doubted. It was first recorded in 1477 in the 'Cleernis van de gemeynte van Echt'. In this document the people of Echte ask their lord, the duke of Gelre, for protection against attacks from the neighbouring duke of Gulik. In return for the protection offered, the Duke of Gelre stipulated that the citizens of Echt should receive one third of the land from the donation of Pepin of Herstal, thus acknowledging the donation of Pepin of Herstal. In November 1940, the legend was also told to the Reich Commissioner of the occupied Netherlands, Arthur Seyss-Inquart, during his visit to the province of Limburg. The latter was so interested in the story that he commissioned architect to design a new Pepinus bridge decorated with episodes from the legend, but this design was never executed. In 1883, a Cistercian monastery opened in Pepinusbrug. In 1912, it was elevated to Lilbosch Abbey. Pepinusbrug does not have place name signs, and consists of about 40 houses excluding the care facility Pergamijn which is home to about 200 people.
rdf:langString Pepinusbrug is een buurtschap ten zuidoosten van Pey in de Nederlandse gemeente Echt-Susteren. De naam Pepinusbrug komt voort uit een legende rondom Pepijn van Herstal, die als hofmeier leiding gaf aan het Frankische Rijk. Volgens deze legende ging hij jaarlijks op bedevaart vanaf zijn woonplaats Herstal naar het klooster op de Petrusberg (tegenwoordig Sint Odiliënberg), dat zou zijn gesticht door de heiligen Wiro, Plechelmus en Otgerus. Op weg naar dit klooster bleef hij echter steken in de uitgestrekte moerassen ten zuiden van Echt, maar enkele buurtbewoners redden hem van de verdrinkingsdood. Pepijn was de Echtenaren zo dankbaar dat hij hen een groot stuk land schonk en een dijk met brug door het moeras liet aanleggen. Tegenwoordig wordt getwijfeld aan de betrouwbaarheid van deze legende. Hij werd voor het eerst in 1477 vastgelegd in de ‘Cleernis van de gemeynte van Echt’ In dit document vragen de Echtenaren aan hun landsheer, de hertog van Gelre, om bescherming tegen invallen van de naburige hertog van Gulik. Als tegenprestatie voor de geboden bescherming bedingt de hertog van Gelre van de Echtenaren het derde deel van het land uit de schenking van Pepijn van Herstal, waarmee hij tevens de schenking van Pepijn van Herstal erkende. In november 1940 werd de legende ook verteld aan rijkscommissaris van bezet Nederland, Arthur Seyss-Inquart, tijdens zijn bezoek aan de provincie Limburg. Deze was zo geïnteresseerd in het verhaal dat hij architect Hendrik Willem Valk opdracht gaf een nieuwe Pepinusbrug te ontwerpen versierd met episodes uit de legende. Dit ontwerp is echter nooit uitgevoerd.
xsd:nonNegativeInteger 4837
xsd:string +1 +2
<Geometry> POINT(5.9250001907349 51.086666107178)

data from the linked data cloud