Central Goods railway station
http://dbpedia.org/resource/Central_Goods_railway_station an entity of type: Thing
Central Goods railway station was a goods-only railway station in central Birmingham, England, on a spur connected to the Birmingham West Suburban Railway, which ran via a tunnel under the Worcester and Birmingham Canal which it was adjacent to. The station was opened by the Midland Railway on 1 July 1887. It was originally known as Worcester Wharf due to it being located next to the canal, its proximity to which allowed for transshipment with canal barges, the name was changed on 31 May 1892. It initially had facilities to handle 375 wagons, but was expanded gradually over the next fifteen years. It was located in approximately the intended location for the terminal station of the Birmingham West Suburban Railway but which was unable to raise the funds for the planned viaduct over the can
rdf:langString
rdf:langString
Central Goods railway station
rdf:langString
Central Goods
rdf:langString
Central Goods
xsd:float
52.47689819335938
xsd:float
-1.904999971389771
xsd:integer
20126900
xsd:integer
1000540629
rdf:langString
Closed
rdf:langString
Name changed to Central Goods
rdf:langString
Opened as Worcester Wharf
rdf:langString
Birmingham City Centre, Birmingham
xsd:integer
1905
rdf:langString
England
rdf:langString
Disused
xsd:date
1887-07-01
xsd:date
1892-05-31
xsd:date
1967-03-06
xsd:string
52.4769 -1.905
rdf:langString
Central Goods railway station was a goods-only railway station in central Birmingham, England, on a spur connected to the Birmingham West Suburban Railway, which ran via a tunnel under the Worcester and Birmingham Canal which it was adjacent to. The station was opened by the Midland Railway on 1 July 1887. It was originally known as Worcester Wharf due to it being located next to the canal, its proximity to which allowed for transshipment with canal barges, the name was changed on 31 May 1892. It initially had facilities to handle 375 wagons, but was expanded gradually over the next fifteen years. It was located in approximately the intended location for the terminal station of the Birmingham West Suburban Railway but which was unable to raise the funds for the planned viaduct over the canal. In 1923 the depot was taken over by the newly amalgamated London, Midland and Scottish Railway, and in 1948 by the nationalised British Railways (later British Rail). From the 1940s onwards, competition from road transport led to a decline in the use of rail freight. In its later years, the depot mostly handled parcels traffic. It eventually closed on 6 March 1967. The spur line leading to it was permanently closed two years later. The site was later occupied by a Royal Mail sorting office, and is now partly occupied by The Mailbox shopping centre and office development.
xsd:nonNegativeInteger
3727
<Geometry>
POINT(-1.9049999713898 52.476898193359)