Addie E. McFarland High School

http://dbpedia.org/resource/Addie_E._McFarland_High_School an entity of type: Thing

Addie E. McFarland High School was the segregated high school serving African American students in Mineola, Texas, from 1950 to 1965. The institution had prior been Mineola Colored High School and South Ward High School. Today, the building that served as Addie E. McFarland High School is now the Addie E. McFarland Community Center. Instead, schools for African Americans in Mineola were first organized under Professor Robert Mason Jones in 1889, with Professor O.C. Veasy as principal. rdf:langString
rdf:langString Addie E. McFarland High School
rdf:langString Addie McFarland High School
rdf:langString Addie McFarland High School
xsd:float 32.65829849243164
xsd:float -95.49490356445312
xsd:integer 52333318
xsd:integer 1060641728
rdf:langString The Whitsonian
xsd:integer 75773
xsd:integer 708
xsd:integer 1966
rdf:langString Purple
rdf:langString United States
rdf:langString formerly Mineola Independent School District
rdf:langString Bears
xsd:integer 1889
xsd:string 32.6583 -95.4949
rdf:langString Addie E. McFarland High School was the segregated high school serving African American students in Mineola, Texas, from 1950 to 1965. The institution had prior been Mineola Colored High School and South Ward High School. Today, the building that served as Addie E. McFarland High School is now the Addie E. McFarland Community Center. In 1884, the Texas Legislature passed legislation requiring Wood County, Texas to be divided up into free school districts, including several African American schools. However, what became South Ward/Mineola Colored/McFarland wasn't among the African American schools the legislature authorized. Instead, schools for African Americans in Mineola were first organized under Professor Robert Mason Jones in 1889, with Professor O.C. Veasy as principal. In 1927, an older school structure was destroyed by fire. Sometime between 1937 and 1939, a new structure was built. During 1947–1948, the school became exclusively a high school and the name of the school was changed from South Ward School to Mineola Colored High School. During this time, the school only went to the tenth grade. The first graduating class was in 1948. During the 1950s, the name of the school was changed to McFarland High School to honor Addie McFarland, a longtime teacher who taught in the community. The last graduating class from McFarland was in 1966; the next fall, students attended Mineola High School. McFarland was closed when the schools integrated.
xsd:integer 9
xsd:string Purple
xsd:nonNegativeInteger 5712
rdf:langString 708 S. Stone Street
xsd:gYear 1966
xsd:gYear 1889
xsd:string Bears
xsd:string 75773
<Geometry> POINT(-95.494903564453 32.658298492432)

data from the linked data cloud